Faculty and Staff - L. Brian Perkins
Phone: 207- 581-1369
Fax: 207- 581-1636
2002 Ph.D., Food & Nutrition Sciences, University of Maine
1993 M.S., Food Science, University of Maine
1984 B.S, Plant & Soil Sciences, University of Maine
Laboratory Director & Research Assistant Professor, University of Maine, 2007 – present
Laboratory Manager/Research Chemist, University of Maine, 2000 -2006
Assistant Research Chemist, University of Maine, 1993 -1999
FSN 101 – Introduction to Food Science and Nutrition (Fall and Spring Semesters)
FSN 121 – Brewing with Food Science (Fall and Spring Semesters)
FSN 587 – Food Analysis (Even Years)
Analytical (chromatographic) method development: (LC/MS/MS, LC/PDA/FLD/RI, UPLC/DAD/FLD/ELSD, GC/MS)
Novel bioactive compounds in foods (capsinoids, anthocyanins, carotenoids, flavanoids)
Naturally occurring toxins in foods (mycotoxins, glycoalkaloids)
Fate & Transport of pesticides in the environment
Recent Funded Projects
- Backyard Farms – Assessing Tomato Fruit for Chemical and Organoleptic Properties (2011-2013; $180,000)
- USDA (NIFA) Improved Breeding and Variety Evaluation Methods to Reduce Acrylamide Content (2011-2015; $130,000/year)
- USDA (NIFA) Potato Breeding and Variety Development for Improved Quality and Pest Resistance (2010-2013; $240,000/year)
- Maine DEP – Soft Plastic Lure Fish Toxics Bioaccumulation Study (2014; $30,000)
- USDA (NIFA) – Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography System(UPLC) for the Analysis of Nutrients, Flavor Components and Naturally Occurring Toxins in Fruits, Vegetables and Fruit Products (2015; $92,586)
- Robert L. Jarret, Elizabeth Baldwin, Brian Perkins, Kelly Guthrie, and Rod Bushway. 2007. Diversity of Fruit Quality Characteristics in Capsicum frutescens. Horticultural Science. 42(1), 16-19.
- J. Kong, M.P. Dougherty, L.B. Perkins, and M.E. Camire. 2008. Composition and Consumer Acceptability of a Novel Extrusion-Cooked Salmon Snack. Journal of Food Science 73(3), S118-123.
- Byungchul Kim, Lewis B. Perkins, Rodney J. Bushway, Stephanie Nesbit, Titan Fan, Robert Sheridan, and Virginia Greene. 2008. Determination of Melamine in Pet Food by Enzyme Immunoassay, High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Diode Array Detection, and Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Journal of AOAC, International. 91(2), 408-413.
- Satyavan Singh, R. Jarret, V. Russo, J. Shimkus, G. Majetich, R. Bushway and B. Perkins. 2009. Determination of Capsinoids by HPLC-DAD in Capsicum ssp. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57(9), 3452-3457.
- Margaret Hunter and Brian Perkins. Analysis of Carotenoids in Sea Urchins. 2008. Maine Department of Marine Resources Report. http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/seaurchin/canthreport.pdf.
- Margaret Hunter and Brian Perkins. Analysis of Carotenoids in Sea Urchins. 2009. Maine Department of Marine Resources Report. http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/seaurchin/canth09.pdf.
- Satyavan Singh, R. Jarret, V. Russo, R. Bushway and B. Perkins. 2009. Determination of Capsinoids in Mature and Immature Pepper Fruit. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57(9): 3453-3457.
- Byungchul Kim, L. Brian Perkins, Beth Calder, Lawrence A. LeBlanc and Rodney J. Bushway. 2009. Comparison of the Efficacy of Sodium Acid Sulfate and Citric Acid Treatments in Reducing Acrylamide Formation in French Fries. Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station Technical Bulletin # 201.
- B. Kim, L.A. LeBlanc, R.J. Bushway, and L.B. Perkins. 2009. Applicability of Pressurized Liquid Extraction for Melamine Analysis in Pet Foods with High-Performance Liquid Chromatography with Diode Array Detection. Food Analytical Methods, DOI 10.1007/s12161-009-9112-1.
- J. Bolton, S. Collins, R. Smith, B. Perkins, R. Bushway, R. Bayer and J. Vetelino. 2009. Spectroscopic Analysis of Hemolymph from American Lobster (Homarus americanus). Journal of Shellfish Research, 28 (4): 905-912.
- Brianna H. Hughes, Heather M. Muzzy, Lauriane C. Laliberte, Hannah S. Grenier, L. Brian Perkins, and Denise I. Skonberg. 2012. Oxidative stability and consumer acceptance of fish oil fortified nutrition bars. Journal of Food Science, 77(9): S329-S334.
- Brianna H. Hughes, L. Brian Perkins, Beth L. Calder and Denise I. Skonberg. 2012. Fish Oil Fortification of Soft Goat Cheese. Journal of Food Science, 77(2): S128-133.
- Jian Kong, L.B. Perkins, M.P. Dougherty, and Mary Ellen Camire. 2012. Control of lipid oxidation in extruded salmon jerky snacks. Journal of Food Science. 76(1): C8-C13.
- Michael E. Day, Sarah Zazzaro and L. Brian Perkins. 2014. Seedling ontogeny and environmental plasticity in two co-occurring shade-tolerant conifers and implications for environment-population interactions. American Journal of Botany. 101(1): 45-55.
- Robert L. Jarret, Jason Bolton and L. Brian Perkins. 2014. 509-45-1, a Capsicum annum Pepper Germplasm Containing High Concentrations of Capsinoids. HortScience. 49(1): 1-2.
- J.C. Bolton, R. Bayer, R. Bushway, S. Collins, and B. Perkins. 2014. Analytical And Semi-Preparative HPLC Analysis And Isolation Of Hemocyanin From The American Lobster (Homarus americanus). J. of Shellfish Research. 33(1): 1-7
- Kamal Moussi, Balunkeswar Nayak, L. Brian Perkins, Farid Dahmoune, Kohodir Madani, and Mohamed Chibane. HPLC-DAD profile of phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of leaves extract of Rhamnus alaternus L. Industrial Crops and Products. 74 (2015): 858-866.
Professional Activities and/or Services
Member, Association of Official Analytical Chemists International
Member, American Chemical Society
Member, Institute of Food Technologists (Chemistry & Nutraceutical Divisions)
Member, Phi Tau Sigma
University of Maine Outstanding Professional Employee – 2003
Fee for Service
Food Chemical Safety Laboratory – Analysis of bioactive compounds, naturally occurring toxins, pesticide residues & man-made toxins in food and environmental matrices
Shotokan Karate Do
Registered Maine Guide
Fly fishing, Fly tying & Fly rod building