Faculty and Staff - Balunkeswar (Balu) Nayak, PhD
Ph.D., Food Engineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 2011
M. Tech., Post-Harvest Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, India, 2002
B. Tech., Agricultural Engineering, Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, India, 1999
- Effects of food processing on chemical hazards in foods including food allergens, mycotoxins and bacterial toxins, their detection and methods to reduce the potential risks/hazards in processed foods.
- Developing novel food processing technologies using thermal and non-thermal (high pressure, PEF, ultrasound) techniques for detection and inactivation of high risk microbial contamination in perishable fruits and vegetables to improve food safety.
- Developing processing methods, extraction techniques and bioprocessing to develop value-added products with enriched bioactive compound.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Food Allergy Research and Resource Program, Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 2011 – 2012
- Asst. Project Officer (Technical), Agricultural Finance Corporation, India, 2004-2006
- Management Trainee, Agricultural Finance Corporation, India, 2002- 2004
- FSN 330: Introduction to Food Science
- FSN 340: Food Processing Laboratory
1) Nayak., B, Taylor, S. L., Baumert, J. L. 2012. High pressure and pressure assisted thermal processing reduces detection of peanut residues in the liquid model foods. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (in preparation).
2) Nayak, B., Liu, R. H., and Tang, J. Effect of processing on phenolic antioxidants of fruits, vegetables and grains – A review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition (in press).
3) Nayak, B., Berrios, J.D.J., and Tang, J. Thermal degradation of anthocyanins from purple potato (Cv Purple Majesty) and impact on antioxidant capacity. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2011, 59 (20), 11040 – 11049.
4) Nayak, B., Liu, R.H., Berrios, J.D.J., Tang, J., Derito, C. Bioactivity of antioxidants in extruded products prepared from purple potato and dry pea flours. Journal of Agricultural & Food Chemistry. 2011, 59 (15), 8233 – 8243.
5) Nayak, B., Berrios, J.D.J., Powers, J.R., and Tang, J. Effect of extrusion on the antioxidant capacity and color attributes of expanded extrudates prepared from purple potato and yellow pea flour mixes. Journal of Food Science. 2011, 76 (6), C874 – C883.
6) Nayak, B., Powers, Joseph R., Berrios, J. and Tang, Juming. Colored potatoes (Solanum Tuberosum) dried for antioxidant-rich value-added foods. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 2011. 35 (5), 571 – 580.
7) Nayak, B., Berrios, J.D.J., Ji, Y., and Tang, J. Food processing and the glycemic index (GI) of potato products. Food Chemistry (internal review).
8) Insan, S. K., Syamaladevi, R., Nayak, B., Sablani, S. S., Powers, J., Tang, J., 2010. Thermal degradation kinetics of anthocyanins in red raspberry. Journal of Food Engineering (review).
- Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry
- Food Research International
- Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture
- LWT – Food Science and Technology
¨ Institute of Food Technologists, (IFT), US